The year of 2022 will mark an exciting milestone in the life of Archangel Michael Orthodox Church. We will celebrate the 100th anniversary of our parish. In 1922, without a building to call their own, a group of faithful Orthodox began holding services at a local YMCA, St. Sava’s Serbian Orthodox church on East 36th and ultimately until 1926, in a vacant building on the property of the old Second Presbyterian Church on East 30th St. From these humble beginnings, through the purchase of land on Union Avenue to building and opening of a sister parish in Maple Heights, and finally to the purchase of property and building of our current Archangel Michael Church in Broadview Heights, we have a lot to celebrate and to be thankful for!
To commemorate this significant milestone, 2022 will be a year of remembrance and celebration! We have assembled a 100th Anniversary Celebration Committee whose members are hard at work planning a year’s worth of activities. Watch the bulletin, Archangel, e-mail communication, and parish announcements for detailed information as each event is announced, but in the meantime, here is a sneak peek at some of our plans:
- Religious Services—We will kick off the celebration year with a service of thanksgiving on Sunday, January 2, immediately following Divine Liturgy. In addition, on the 2nd Saturday of each month in 2022, we will replace our Vespers service with a memorial service where we remember, by name, every deceased member of our parish who reposed during that month over the course of our 100-year history.
- Service and Outreach—We are planning several service and outreach projects and events that will afford the opportunity to do good works and promote Orthodoxy.
- Education—Three speaker/retreat events and a youth retreat are in the works for 2022.
- Fun & Family Activities—These events will bring our parish family together in fellowship. Look for a Parish Family Picnic and other opportunities to socialize throughout the year!
- 100th Anniversary Weekend—The highlight of our year of celebration will be our Anniversary Weekend! Mark your calendar for November 4-6, 2022. We will welcome both His Beatitude, Metropolitan Tikhon and His Eminence, Archbishop Paul who will worship with us during the weekend. Saturday, November 5 will see a Hierarchical Divine Liturgy followed by our anniversary banquet. Both hierarchs will remain for a second Hierarchical Divine Liturgy on Sunday followed by a relaxed, fun-filled, family-friendly celebration.
We look forward to sharing specific event and program details with you and hope that everyone, no matter their age, will find something of interest to participate in. We plan to keep the events as affordable as possible and will have sponsorship opportunities available for those who are interested in helping to financially subsidize activities. There will also be many opportunities for volunteers to assist in the execution of the various events.